October 24, 2017
ContextCapture CONNECT Edition – Update 7
This update includes a more robust and parallelized aerotriangulation and faster multi-GPU support for users to generate 3D reality meshes of virtually any size or precision up to 30% faster than previously possible.
Additionally, users can now easily split large blocks before aerotriangulation with the new extract block mode based on photo positions. Users can draw a polygon on Google Earth and extract several blocks to split a large job into smaller ones that fit their hardware capacity or limitations.
And finally, an imperial unit display option in the measurements tool (unit system settings) gives users the ability to measure in “feet” as well as “meters” in the Acute3D Viewer.
Check out the ContextCapture CONNECT Edition – Update 7 tutorial videos:
• How to extract a block
• Measure in imperial units
August 15, 2017
Bentley Descartes CONNECT Edition – Update 2 is now available
We are pleased to announce the release of Bentley Descartes CONNECT Edition – Update 2 to provide you with robust capabilities to make the most of your reality modeling data.
Scalable Mesh Format
Scalable mesh technology enables multi-resolution inputs through the new (.3sm) format. With the Bentley Descartes update, you can convert a reality mesh (.3mx) to the new scalable mesh format, attach, and display it in MicroStation to bring reality context to your design. Additionally, you can generate a scalable mesh file containing terrain data from many sources such as DTM, Point Clouds, raster elevation, and more for better design.
ProjectWise ContextShare Integration
ProjectWise ContextShare is Bentley’s reality modeling solution that allows you to securely manage and store large amounts of reality modeling data in a connected data environment without the need for high-end hardware or complex IT infrastructure. Bentley Descartes allows you to convert local reality mesh to the reality mesh 3DTiles format for easy upload to ProjectWise ContextShare. You can attach and stream reality mesh 3DTiles for better project team collaboration.
Quick Ground Extraction
Bentley Descartes allows you to extract terrain from an area of a reality mesh to a new reality mesh attachment and seamlessly display the result using clips helping to streamline your design workflow.
With Bentley Descartes, you can analyze volume differences in a defined area between two reality meshes or a reality mesh and design element. A significant use for this capability is during the construction workflow to calculate the amount of material in a stockpile to determine how much load there is compared to actual design. This same capability can be used for progress management where you can calculate the volume using two different reality meshes taken at different phases of the construction to find out the progression of the work.
Bentley Descartes has the Tile Terrain capability where you can extract and tile terrain from a reality mesh to multiple Terrain Model elements or LandXML files for use in your road designs.
Take advantage of this powerful Bentley Descartes CONNECT Edition – Update 2 capabilities!
Check out the videos for these capabilities!
May 24, 2017
Winners of 2017 Bentley Institute Student Design Competition
I) WINNER: Reality Modeling (General)
Congratulations to Dalian Nationalities University in China who is the Winner for the Reality Modeling category! This student team composed by Ting Li, Yuting Wang, Yuanpeng Liu, Falin Xiang decided to capture Buddha, as a means of sharing, in 3D, a piece of China’s culture and spirit with people all over the world who may never see it in person.
They used a UAV to take photos of the 69 meter-high Buddha, with four sides representing love, career, health, and wealth and its hundreds of hands representing control of everything.
With so much detail, it was very challenging for the team to carefully capture the statue.
They then used ContextCapture to automatically turn the images into a highly-detailed 3D reality model of the figure.
II) WINNER: Use of Reality Modeling for Infrastructure (Advanced)
This student team from Shandong Urban Construction Vocational College (Jinan, Shandong, China) used a UAV to capture video images of a construction site, and converted that footage into a 3D reality model of the area using ContextCapture.
To make the reality model even more useful as a decision-support tool, they took measurements of two overhead high voltage cables in the working range of cranes—safely, from within the model.
Those accurate measurements were then used by the students to design protective shields for the cables, using MicroStation CONNECT Edition and AECOsim Building Designer.
Next the team created a models of the structure that will be built on the site, as well as models of three tower cranes, so they could simulate the working range of the cranes to determine the best installation position.
Finally, using Bentley LumenRT, they created a visualization of the construction project, with the cranes and structure, adding a natural environment and a video so stakeholders can easily envision the results.
III) Other 3D models presented during the competition
Explore these 3D models made by students for the 2017 Bentley Institute Student Design Competition. These reality mesh models can be viewed directly within any Web browser.
May 17, 2017
ContextCapture Editor is released!
Interested in editing your Reality Modeling data using ContextCapture?
We are pleased to announce the release of ContextCapture Editor, a 3D CAD based on PowerDraft that allows you to leverage reality meshes, terrain models, and point clouds made of billions of points and triangles for use in information modeling workflows.
Take advantage of ContextCapture Editor, a module included with ContextCapture and ContextCapture Center.
This powerful tool can be used to extract features from both point clouds and reality meshes, extract ground models and ortho images from reality meshes, and extract ground models and classify ground points from point clouds. You can extract terrain model from reality meshes or point clouds to deliver data compliant with legacy tools and workflows.
Key Reality Modeling Workflow Features:
- Mesh Retouching – Enable productivity of higher quality meshes gain with limited clicks and better ergonomic and provides greater scalability
- Generate Cross Sections with Reality Meshes – Enable easy analysis of 3D Reality Mesh through x-sections and to simplify 3D modeling and feature extraction to do measurements in x-sections
- Extract Terrain Model from Reality Meshes or Point Clouds – Automatic extraction of Terrain points from a point cloud or a Reality Mesh as Classified Point Clouds and/or TIN file
- Breaklines Extraction from Reality Mesh – Enable the creation of breaklines for better terrain model definition
- Orthophoto Generation on Any Axis – Create highly portable/ interoperable deliverables and produce vertical orthoimages to be draped on terrain model and consumed in design workflows
- Real-Time Mesh Classification – Allows access to business information about assets in a 3D realistic environment
ContextCapture Editor integrates Reality modeling data and engineering data to produce deliverables as i-models, 3D PDF and Ortho Images in any direction.
Check out our capabilities videos! Take advantage of this powerful tool for your Reality Modeling workflow!
April 14, 2017
ContextCapture Connect Edition Update 5 is released!
New engineering and visualization ready reality mesh available with new ContextCapture update!We are pleased to announce the release of ContextCapture CONNECT Edition – Update 5 which offers the following new advancements:
- Leverage new 3SM reality mesh format directly inside real-time visualization product LumenRT CONNECT edition at full resolution. This same format will soon enhance your engineering workflows in the upcoming CONNECT edition releases of OpenRoads ConceptStation, MicroStation, Bentley Descartes and more.
- Use static, aerial, indoor and mobile scan data (LAS or E57 files with trajectory files) for 3D reconstruction. You can use laser scanner data on its own or combine it with photos for optimal 3D textured reality meshes.
- Increase photo input project size to 300 GPIX.
- Touch-up workflow and reconstruction directly inside Bentley products using the new production Bentley DGN format.
- Receive personalized support and learning recommendations with Bentley CONNECT Advisor.
- Handle and display reality meshes of large scenes faster with the new unique mesh export.
- And a whole array of improvements on performance and quality.
ContextCapture is a comprehensive, scalable, and interoperable reality modeling application for producing 3D engineering-ready reality meshes for consumption in any visualization, engineering, or GIS workflows.
Check out ContextCapture CONNECT Edition – Update 5 videos!
December 15, 2016
ContextCapture Connect Edition Update 4 is released!
- 3D reconstruction from point clouds.
- User experience enhancements simplifying management of very large projects, user settings, user tie points and control points.
- New aerotriangulation mode leveraging the accuracy of advanced positioning systems such as GPS with RTK.
- Speed improvement of aerotriangulation.
September 6, 2016
New Reality Modeling Tutorial
Bentley’s ContextCapture is part a wider product line that covers a complete Reality Modeling workflow.
If you want to learn more about how you can:
To learn more about how to use ContextCapture, please visit our dedicated Youtube Channel.
July 8, 2016
Web publishing with Cesium
Check out the two demos below:
Optionally, ContextCapture can generate a base Cesium application which can be directly published to the Web. Cesium is purely client-based, so the Cesium 3D Tiles data and the Cesium application can be hosted on a static Web server. Online file storage web services / content delivery networks such as Azure Blobs/CDN or Amazon S3/CloudFront are also supported.
We will present this new feature at Siggraph 2016 in Anaheim, CA, in a Birds of a Feather session on Virtual Globes Using WebGL and Cesium: Tuesday, 26 July, 10:30 am – 12:00 pm, Anaheim Convention Center.
Stay tuned for this upcoming ContextCapture release!
May 19, 2016
ContextCapture new release!
We are pleased to announce the new release of ContextCapture!
- ContextCapture can now publish models for native use in ESRI workflows with applications like ArcGIS Pro through the new i3s export capability.
It also offers greater scalability and enhanced interoperability with:
- An increase from 30 to 100 gigapixels as the maximum amount of imagery that ContextCapture can use to produce a model (ContextCapture Center remains unlimited)
- New mesh export capabilities which allow abstracting even very large projects as unique multiresolution meshes that can be displayed with a common index. The most popular formats include 3MX, ESRI i3s, Google Earth KML, SpacEyes3D, OSGB, LODTreeExport
Migration to ContextCapture for Smart3DCapture users
All Smart3DCapture Advanced/Expert and Ultimate users, with a valid subscription service, are entitled to migrate to an equivalent ContextCapture Edition. Please contact your Acute3D representative or your local Bentley office to learn more about the procedure.